Why is XGS-PON better than standard GPON?
In this blog post, I will compare XGS-PON (10 Gigabit Symmetrical Passive Optical Network) and GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) to understand why XGS-PON is emerging as the superior choice for ultra-fast fiber internet. Many Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISPS) are considering getting into fiber to the home (FTTH).
Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) has been a reliable and widely used technology for delivering fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) internet. GPON offers high-speed connections, with download speeds of up to 2.5 Gbps and upload speeds of 1.25 Gbps. It uses time-division multiplexing (TDM) to allocate bandwidth, sometimes leading to inefficiencies and limitations, especially in the growing era of bandwidth-hungry applications and devices.
Why XGS-PON Is Better
XGS-PON is the next generation of passive optical networks, offering significant advantages over GPON. Here are some key reasons why XGS-PON is superior:
- Speed: XGS-PON offers a staggering 10 Gbps of symmetrical bandwidth, which means both upload and download speeds are equally fast. This immense capacity ensures that even the most demanding applications and services, like 8K video streaming and virtual reality, can be supported without a hitch.
- Low Latency: XGS-PON’s low latency is a game-changer for real-time applications like online gaming, video conferencing, and IoT devices. Reduced latency ensures a smoother and more responsive experience for users.
- Improved Efficiency: Unlike GPON’s TDM approach, XGS-PON employs wavelength division multiplexing (WDM), which separates data streams using different wavelengths of light. This results in more efficient and higher-capacity data transmission.
- Flexibility: XGS-PON is designed with flexibility in mind. It can coexist with GPON in the same network, allowing for a gradual transition without service interruptions.
- Increased Revenue Opportunities: For service providers, XGS-PON opens the door to offering premium services and reaching a broader customer base with its exceptional speed and capabilities. Services like Voice from companies such as Atheral can be layered on top.
Considerations for the Transition
While XGS-PON offers numerous advantages over GPON, it’s important to consider some key factors when making the transition:
- Cost: Upgrading to XGS-PON may involve additional costs for new equipment and infrastructure. However, the long-term benefits often outweigh the initial investment.
- Compatibility: Ensure that your existing network infrastructure is compatible with XGS-PON. An experienced network provider can help with a smooth transition.
- Demand and User Base: Evaluate the bandwidth requirements of your user base and the services you plan to offer to determine if XGS-PON is the right fit. Customers are demanding more and more bandwidth. With 10 Gig to each customer, your network has room to grow.
j2networks family of sites
So who are some of the major players in the XGS pon space for WISPs?
1. Ubiquiti https://uisp.com/us/fiber
2. Calix https://www.calix.com/platforms/axos/axos-systems.html
3. Zhone https://dzsi.com/products-and-services/access-edge/fiber-access/
4. Nokia https://www.nokia.com/networks/fiber-for-everything/
5. Adtran https://www.adtran.com/en/products-and-services/fiber-access-and-aggregation