Why not start out the new year with some changes? Here is my list of things I see which could help. You can easily do the following twelve things in the next twelve months.
- Take time for documentation. Set aside an afternoon a week to do documentation. Once caught up, don’t consider a project until the documentation is complete.
- Setup that lab you have always wanted, or re-vamp that aging lab.
- Clean out your e-mail box and apply filters to recurring emails. Your inbox is not a to-do list.
- Speaking of e-mail, segment your e-mail boxes. Backup alerts should go to backups@, and alert e-mails should go to alerts@ or noc@. Make it easy to categorize your e-mail. if this is not for you, apply tags and filters to categorize mail.
- Standardize your naming of devices, interfaces, and comments.
- De-clutter everything. More on this in a follow-up article.
- Enable 2Factor authentication on everything you can.
- If it’s not on your calendar, it will probably get missed.
- Make a point to attend at least one conference or local user group by May.
- Step up your cabling game
- Deploy IPV6 across your network if you have not already
- Buy a labeler and use it. https://amzn.to/3hYEtdj